The Reading Habits Tag

8:54:00 PM



Thanks to the wonderful Lucie from teabooksandfun for bringing this tag to my attention! I loved the idea of getting to know the blogger through their personal reading habits. Without further ado, let's get into some questions!




Do you have a certain place at home for reading?
My bed is where I do most of my reading, usually paired with a burning candle or two. However, we do have this huge leather armchair in the living room that is such a comfy reading chair, I try to snag it whenever my dad isn't using it (which is always).

Bookmark or random piece of paper?
Both. I have a gorgeous bookmark I love using, but it's currently marking my place in The Diviners while I finish reading the Grisha trilogy. I'm currently using the protective cover to a pack of Impossible Project Polaroid film, but I've found myself using old giftcards, receipts, hairties, nail files, random Polaroids I haven't put in my album yet...

Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter/a certain amount of pages?
It depends. Usually I try to leave off at the end of a chapter but will wind up reading into the first page or two of the next chapter if I can't quite put the book down yet. I like to read before I fall asleep, so if i'm in the middle of a chapter and my eyes get too droopy to concentrate, then I'll stop wherever I may be.

Do you eat or drink while reading?
Heck yes! I've been known to eat during meals if I can't yet put the book down. Most of the time though, a nice mug of warm chai tea or coffee is my favorite pairing with a book -- 'tis the season for hot spiced cider and pumpkin spice lattes!

Multitasking: music or TV while reading?
Music, always. I make playlists for most of the books I read, so I always have to be prepared to add a song to my current playlist. I dislike watching TV and reading simultaneously because I get too invested in one or the other; although one time I did binge watch the entire first season of Friends while reading the Mara Dyer books and remembered both the TV and book stories with vivid clarity...

One book at a time or several at once?
Okay, I know earlier I said I was reading the Grisha books while in the midst of The Diviners, but this is a rare occurrence for me. I'm giving all my attention to the Grisha books at the moment, anyway, and if I ever stop reading a book to start another I will finish it before returning to the previous book. I usually only make it into a book a few chapters before doing so, anyway.
Reading at home or everywhere?I was always that kid at school who packed whatever book I was currently reading into my backpack between my notebooks and agenda. I will read in the car, on an airplane, in the middle of class when I'm supposed to be working on my senior project, at Starbucks, Books-A-Million... If I have time to kill between classes and meetings, you can usually find me reading in one of these places.

Reading out loud or silently in your head?
Is this question about audiobooks? If so, I've only ever completed Fahrenheit 451 on audiobook. Otherwise I read to myself in my head. However, I do like to say certain words or names out loud sometimes because I want to know how it is supposed to feel in my mouth. That sounds weird. But words like "nichevo'ya" or names like Celaena Sardothien are jjust begging to be said aloud and felt.

Do you read ahead or even skip pages?
I will look ahead to see how many pages or chapters remain, and sometimes I'll skim over a tidbit I wasn't supposed to see yet, and then I'll regret my decision and brood over the half spoilers I just gave myself before returning to my reading.

Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?
Like new! Although a well-loved book here and there can be found on my bookshelves; my copy of The Lightning Thief is so bedraggled from years of reading and rereading, same with some of my Harry Potter books (one is even being held together with packing tape at the moment...). I hate when the covers of paperbacks warp and curl upward, though. It seems like they can never be truly flattened out again.

Do you write in your books?
Not typically, although I have been known to sticky note or highlight a certain quote that stands out to me. Some of my favorite books are heavily annotated, but I have avoided it for the most part for the last few years if I can help it. I highlight and annotate my iBooks all the time, though, because that damage can always be undone at the touch of a button!

So there you have it, a little look inside what makes me tick when it comes to reading!
Thank you again to Lucie, I now tag Lillie from littlelilliereads! If you're reading this and want to participate as well, please do so and drop a comment back here with your link so that I can see what your habits are like!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Giselle has read 5 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide