TOP TEN Books of 2016!!!

3:39:00 PM


2016 has officially come to a close, and it was a year full of ups and downs for sure. Through all the negative though, these are the ten books that kept me going steady through to the more positive aspects of the year. 

  1. Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

    Are you really that surprised that this book tops my list at the #1 spot? Didn't think so. It crept up on me, I went in blind knowing next to nothing about the plot aside from the fact that it was about an assassin. Five days later I had finished the book and was in so deep, I had to get my hands on more! I fell in love with the unique world, fantastic story building, and the fantastic range of characters. Book two, where are you!??



  2. The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry

    I got myself this book as a birthday present and fell headfirst into the dizzying, descriptive, whirlwind storytelling that Emily Henry employs as she weaves Native American stories and mythology into the fibers of her story. The end result was a breathtaking standalone that left my heart aching for more.
  3. Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke

    Incredibly unique storytelling meets a strong writing voice and an unexpected twist in a seemingly average story. Told in three separate perspectives, this book is truly a story that lives in the details and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea it became the third five-star book I read in 2016.
  4. This is Our Story by Ashley Elston

    This mystery grips you immediately from the start and refuses to let go until you find the whodunnit of the story. This book kept me guessing and kept me flipping pages every second I had a chance to read. Ashley Elston masterfully weaves a tale of deception and mystery in a
    way that entangles the reader in such a way that can be challenging when it comes to writing and reading mystery books.
  5. Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova

    This book is so close to my heart for a multitude of reasons, but most of all because it tells a story of diversity and seamlessly blends a multitude of cultures into a gorgeously written tale of family love and friendship. I'm eager to read its sequels because the series will be told in an anthology style with each new book being told from a different sister's perspective. The
    Brooklyn Brujas books are just a small part of a greater movement all about the reclamation of the term "bruja" in Latinx culture and redefining what it means to wield your own unique magic, and I couldn't be happier with how this first book in the series has achieved that.
  6. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

    Shockingly, I didn't pick up this series until the summer of 2016 when I attended one of Maggie's book signings as she toured The Raven King. It's right up my alley, though, all psychic mysticism and the magic and myth of small town living. The Aglionby boys are so easy to fall in love with and Blue is a relatable main character whose fierce dedication to what she believes in drives the story. I'm in the process of collecting the rest of the series so that I can continue reading!
  7. Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco

    I was blown away by the fact that this book was a debut. Kerri pulls out all the stops and delivers heart punding romance and swoon-worthy Victorian romance all in one unique take on a classic cold case, tied up in a bow with a steampunk twist at the end. I saw a lot of myself in Audrey Rose, and I'm counting down the days to the release of the next book in the series!
  8. Caraval by Stephanie Garber

    Even though it technically doesn't come out until January 2017, I read this book in 2016 and was blown away, once again, at the fact that a book of this caliber is a debut. The writing is stunning and the descriptions and world-building become so tangible as the story goes on. This story follows the persistence of the bonds of sisterhood and made me wish I had a sister of my own to relate this to!
  9. A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

    Honestly, ACOTAR really shook me last year when I read it but the reason ACOMAF made the list is because all the hype is real. I waited for the hype to die down for months before I picked this book up again, and it sucked me right in and spit me out an emotional wreck. You want a book that promises to rip you to shreds in the best way possible, this is the book for you. I'm gonna be honest, knowing how Maas continues her series, I'm a bit nervous to see how book three plays out. Only time will tell!
  10. And The Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich

    Last but not least, this book is about as unique as they come for horror novels. I would describe
    it as Illuminae meets Stephen King's or Guillermo del Toro's twisted and warped imaginations. The way this story is told is unlike any other horror novel I've read as it's mainly told in the form of newspaper articles, interview transcripts, and diary entries. Piecing together the story and implementing a massive twist ending, even if you are new to the horror genre I would recommend this read to anyone looking for an eerie story.




What were your top ten books in 2016? What books are you most looking forward to in 2017?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Giselle has read 5 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide