The Coffee Book Tag

5:30:00 PM

All the graphics made in this post have been done by me. The photograph in the header image was found on tumblr. I do not claim ownership for anything besides the graphic design.

I saw someone I follow on Twitter doing this tag, and given the name of my blog I knew I had to do it myself! I can't seem to find the original source of the tag, but the blog I got the tag from is called Chasing Faerytails.






This one for me would be The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I've tried and tried to get into these books, I own the first two, and despite it all I just can't make it more than a couple chapters before putting the book down and moving on to my next TBR. The fans of this series, however, are so incredibly loyal and will probably cut you if you diss their favorite character.



I'm going with My True Love Gave to Me, a collection of 12 holiday-themed short stories by popular YA authors and edited by Stephanie Perkins. This is most definitely on my Christmas TBR list.



Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak will forever hold a special place in my heart, if we're talking storybooks here. Otherwise you guys should know by now that the Harry Potter series practically defines my childhood!



Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard quite literally made me fall off my couch when I first read this book. The last third of the story was so intense, I devoured the remaining chapters in a matter of a couple hours. Full of excitement and anticipation, this one will not disappoint!



A book that has been making waves recently is Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff. Having debuted only a month ago and already being optioned for a movie by none other than Mr. Brad Freakin' Pitt himself, this book is allll the rage on the Twittersphere and beyond. Lucky for me, my copy of it arrived yesterday, so I can dive in and see what the buzz is all about!



I'm going to give this shoutout to Brianna Shrum, author who debuted this year with Never Never, with her second book How To Make Out on its way in 2016! She's a total gem to talk to on twitter who punctuates many of her conversations with amazing reaction gifs that reflect her own brand of humor. Plus we have matching holiday names on twitter at the moment, which was entirely unintentional. Basically, go give this lady some mega love!



The Diviners by Libba Bray had such an intriguing premise, what with a flapper girl turned detective's assistant for her ability to see spirits, but I found that the story got lost within the 1920's slang. It was too much to focus on, with an intro that was very slow-paced. The author really immersed us in the era by using language from the era, but instead of furthering the story it felt forced and muddy. Sadly, I had to mark this book as DNF. Maybe sometime in the future, I'll pick it up again and see my love for the era of glitz and glamour and art deco art stylings given a nice twist?



Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series gets a heart-wrenching twist halfway through the series that the main character, Rose, spends the second half of the series trying to resolve. The ending of the series left me all kinds of emotional, but ultimately content.



Reading E. Lockhart's We Were Liars is like reading poetry. The writing style in this novel is entirely evocative of a long poem, especially with the way E. Lockhart describes people and places. This story is one that definitely takes place within its details.



A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston, a retelling of A Thousand and One Arabian Nights, is evocative of a far off desert land infused with middle-eastern culture of all sorts. A beautiful book through and through, this book took me around the world and back.



F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is my favorite classic, not so much for the story itself but the writing. As a creative writing student, I always appreciate a good story. But what I appreciate even more is a writing style that can knock the breath right out of me with its finesse and beauty. My favorite part about this book is that it doesn't get tangled up in its language or in trying to be the epitome of greatness; it exists as it is, and the art speaks for itself.





Passing along the bookish love, I'm tagging:
Lillie at Little Lillie Reads
Alex at Fiery Reads

I also tag YOU to participate if you feel so inclined, and I'd love it if you linked me back to your post! My question for you is what your favorite drink is, be it tea or coffee or something else. I'm completely addicted to chai tea -- hot or iced, the spicier the better!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular Posts

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Giselle has read 5 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide