Book Boyfriends #3: Tiberius Calore the Seventh (Cal)12:00:00 PM
Every Friday I'll be sharing my favorite boys from books and adding to my list of book boyfriends! This tag was created over at Reading Lark.
Cal from Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
As soon as I picked up this book, I had a feeling I was going to adore the love interests. And I was correct -- from the second we meet Cal, I was intrigued. He is so protective and set on doing the right thing. He's the crown prince who sneaks out of the castle and into peasants' bars in an effort to get to know the people he will one day rule. He gave a poor girl who lived in the slums the chance to make things right for her family after only meeting her ten minutes before. He is combat tactics and war strategy, and an excellent waltz partner. He is juxtaposition and a walking oxymoron, fire and stillness and mystery and an open book; he's Cal and I adore this character.
My Cal Fancast
This was a tough decision to make, because as I read I saw many different faces suiting Cal depending on each situation. I usually have a solid idea for a fancast right off the bat as I read, but this one was certainly a tough one. In the end, I couldn't settle on anybody! I'm still searching for my perfect Cal. If you guys have any ideas for him, please share! I would love to see how you see him! I'm thinking of someone along the lines of Ben Barnes...?
Some of my favorite quotes from and about Cal:
- "His lips are on mine, hard and warm and pressing. The touch is electrifying, but not like I'm used to. This isn't a spark of destruction, but a spark of life. As much as I want to pull away, I just can't do it. Cal is a cliff and I throw myself over the edge, not bothering to think of what it could do to us both. One day he'll realize I'm his enemy, and all this will be a far-gone memory. But not yet." -Mare
- "It’s in our nature, Julian would say. We destroy. It’s the constant of our kind. No matter the color of blood, man will always fall.
I didn’t understand that lesson a few days ago, but now, with Cal’s hands in mine, guiding me with the lightest touch, I’m beginning to see what he meant.
I can feel myself falling." -Mare
- "Unable to meet his gaze, I focus on what's right in front of me. Unfortunately, that happens to be his chest and a much-too-thin shirt. Above me, he takes a ragged breath.
Then his fingers are under my chin, tipping my head up to meet his gaze. Gold flame flickers in his eyes, reflecting the heat beneath. "I'll miss you, Mare.""
- "I've been too busy trying to save others to notice how much Cal saves me. How much he loves me.
Suddenly it's very hard to breathe.
Maven shakes his head. "He will always choose you.""
- Not exactly a quote, but some of my favorite Cal moments were when he was teaching Mare how to dance. I imagined them learning to dance to the sounds of Only You by Yaz, a song choice inspired by the most recent season of Once Upon a Time when Henry plays the song for Violet at the ball in Camelot.